Does Medicare Cover Physical Therapy?
Physical therapy is a vital step when recovering from a joint replacement, stroke or accident. Through physical therapy rehabilitation we have helped our residents learn to walk again, return to activities of daily living and, most importantly, return to their home and the ones they love.
But who covers the cost of physical therapy? And is it a service that Medicare will pay for?
We’ll explore these answers along with more useful information about physical therapy.
Will Medicare Cover Physical Therapy?
Yes, but how much and for how long depends upon a number of factors. These may include:
- How much your doctor charges
- If your doctor is an approved Medicare provider
- The type of facility
- Where you get your services
- Other insurance you may have
- How often you get services
- If your doctor recommends services Medicare does not cover
You should expect to pay some amount depending upon if you have Medicare Part B.
However, we want you to be aware that Medicare changes rapidly, and you should visit the official Medicare site in order to get specific information about what your plan does—and doesn’t—cover. This is vital to ensure that you’re maximizing your Medicare Benefits.
Medicare is also very complicated, and we recommend talking to a representative in order to be sure you’re getting the right information.
Will Insurance Cover Physical Therapy?
Again, a lot of this depends upon your individual policy, so we cannot give a blanket answer to cover all situations.
However, most insurance companies will cover part of the cost of physical therapy if it is deemed medically necessary by a physician. You should also be aware that there may be deductibles and copays involved.
How Much Does Physical Therapy Cost?
There are so many variables, it’s hard to pin down a dollar amount. The cost of physical therapy depends upon:
- The length of treatment
- The specific type of therapy received
- The complexity of the recovery
- Your progress
- The number of sessions needed
The nationwide average out-of-pocket cost can range from $42 to $170 per session, depending upon a number of factors.
How Long Is Physical Therapy?
In general, your physical therapy should last until you’re able to reach your goals. These goals will be discussed with your physical therapist. For example, you may have the goal of being able to walk up and down stairs. Usually, when you meet your prescribed goals, your inpatient physical therapy will end, although you may need to continue outpatient treatment.
How long you’ll stay at Brunswick Cove receiving physical therapy is contingent upon:
- The extent of physical therapy you’ll need. For example, someone recovering from a serious accident may require longer rehabilitation than someone who has had one knee replaced.
- How quickly you reach your goals.
- How well you follow the physical therapy program. You’ll discover that physical therapy often requires a bit of “homework.” By doing these exercises and being an active participant in your care, you’ll go much further.
- How quickly your situation improves.
If you have any questions about how long you’ll be staying at Brunswick Cove, we encourage you to ask your physical therapist who will be able to give you a general idea.
Brunswick Cove Offers Comprehensive Skilled Nursing Care in Winnabow, NC
Did you know that we offer so much more than physical therapy?
We also offer speech therapy and occupational therapy as well.
But we don’t stop there. We have assembled a wide variety of services to better serve our residents. These services include:
- Hospice care
- Treatment for traumatic brain injuries
- Comprehensive rehab services
- Wound care
- Access to a compounding pharmacy
- Access to TPN (total parenteral nutrition)
In addition, we offer outpatient therapy services as well for short stay patients that go home but need more therapy and new patients from the community.
Because we’re family owned and operated, we have a vested interest in our community. We also understand how important your family and loved ones are to you. Our goal is to help you recover so you can return to them as soon as it is safely possible.
Want to learn more about our physical therapy services? Contact us to schedule a virtual tour.